Ridged fingernails can commonly appear on both men and women. They often indicate a health risk or are just plain annoying to look at.
Nail ridges can spread from the cuticle towards the tip of your fingernails or they could run across your nails in a horizontal manner. If you notice that you have ridges like these running across your nails, then it would be better if you see a doctor especially when these ridges are deeply grooved and slightly darkened.
Horizontal ridges could also suggest Beau’s lines, which happens only, if you are suffering from malnutrition, iron or zinc insufficiency or an injury resulting to damaged nail growth. There are also some medications that can trigger the appearance of these types of ridges on fingernails, especially if you have a serious illness or undergoing chemotherapy.
However, if you have discovered these ridges on your nails for the first time and have no other fingernail problems; we can easily fix this problem.
Vertical ridges can be commonly seen on older people as it is an indicator of ageing. As you age, your fingernails and cuticles tend to dry out quickly. So, as a rule, you must massage your nails with oil daily to keep it moisturized.
Before going to bed, always be sure to use a hand and nail cream. Use a product that is not full of chemicals that can do more harm to your nails. Massage the nail cream on your hands and fingernails, wear cotton gloves and then go to sleep.
When you do this routine for a few months, you will absolutely see an improvement in your ridged fingernails. You will start seeing new fingernail growths minus the ridges. Don’t stop doing the routine even after you see an improvement. Keep moisturizing your nails daily.
One of the causes of ridges in fingernails may be dehydration, meaning, your nails are lacking in moisture and may be deprived of vitamins and minerals that it needs. Your body might not be taking in the nutrients it needs.
Tips to lessen the appearance of nail ridges:
• To lessen the appearance of ridges on your nails, use a nail buffer to buff lightly in the vertical ridge’s direction. But, be careful not to overdo the buffing as this might cause thin fingernails.
• When wearing nail polish, apply a ridge filler first. A single coat of ridge filler will suffice, allow to dry and then put on nail polish.
• Don’t forget to take multivitamins and zinc supplements every day.
• When doing housework such as washing dishes, working in the garden and other stuff, wear gloves! This will protect your hands and fingernails.
• Avoid using “nail hardeners”. To strengthen your nails, soak them in warm olive oil for 20 minutes every day.
• Keep yourself hydrated by drinking water every day.
Doing the tips I’ve mentioned above might not totally erase your fingernail ridges, but lessen their appearance. But, with continuous fingernail care, you will have nails that are not only healthy, but beautiful, as well.